Purchase Brands: Brand Transfers
Now that you own the brand, you have the right to sell it or give it to someone on your death.
Selling your brand
If you are interested in selling your brand, please contact the Brand Registrar at (866) 740-4105 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
to have your name/brand added to a list kept current of all people wishing to sell their brands.
Once you have sold your brand, you are required to transfer your brand to the purchaser. To transfer your brand you can complete the Transfer of Brand by Owner
form and mail the original and payment of the transfer fee of $52.50 to the Brand Registrar. All the information and instructions you need to transfer your brand can be found in the Transfer of Brand by Owner
Giving your brand away on your death
There are three ways to leave your brand to someone on your death:
- You can complete a Designation of Beneficiary of Brand to nominate one or more beneficiaries of your brand
- You can leave the brand to a beneficiary in your Last Will and Testament if you do not specifically give the brand to someone in your Will it will go to the beneficiary who gets the residue of your estate
- If you do not have a Will or do not complete a Designation of Beneficiary of Brand form, your brand will go to the persons entitled to your estate under the Intestate Succession Act
Transferring a brand on the death of a brand owner
When a brand owner dies, the brand can be transferred to the deceased beneficiaries as follows:
- If the deceased had filed a Designation of Beneficiary of Brand form with LIS, the designated beneficiary can complete the Transfer to Designated Beneficiary form
- If the deceased owned the brand jointly with another person or persons, the surviving joint owner(s) can complete the Transfer to Surviving Joint Owner form
- If none of the above applies, the brand can be transferred by the Personal Representative of the Estate of the deceased brand owner by completing and forwarding the Information Form For Transfer of Brand on Death of Brand Owner form.
All the information and instructions you need to transfer the deceased’s brand can be found in the transfer forms that are available on the website or from the Brand Registrar. Upon receipt of the properly completed applicable form and the transfer fee of $52.50 (GST included) the brand will be transferred to the beneficiary.
Surrendering your brand
You as a brand owner or, after you die, your personal representative, can surrender your brand back to LIS by completing the Surrender of Brand
form. When a brand is surrendered the owner or owners give up their rights to the brand and the registration of the brand is cancelled. Once a brand is cancelled it is available to be registered by another person. If a brand is owned by more than one person, all of the owners of the brand must agree to surrender the brand. If only one or some of the owners wish to give up their right to the brand, they must transfer the brand to the remaining owner or owners. A partial interest in a brand cannot be surrendered. There is no fee to surrender a brand.
Note: All transfer forms are subject to the approval of the Brand Registrar.
Note: All Brand and Brand Transfer Forms are available on the LIS Forms Page.